Monday, July 30, 2012

THE CALM BEFORE THE STORM

          The title for this post is misleading. I am not talking about a bad time in my life, but actually a good one. This was the only phrase that I could think of that could somewhat accurately grasp what is happening in my life right now. Since May, I have technically been out of a job. My contract went through the summer, but the end goal was a new teaching position for the 2012-2013 school year. All summer I would dress to the nines, go to meet principals, talk to secretaries, fill out applications, and ask everyone I knew, "Do you know of anything?".
          Those who are familiar with the job hunt know the routine. For roughly 3 months, this has been a central part of my life. When the central part of your life is filled with disappointments, it's really hard to stay positive, trust God, and hope for the best. 
          I began to realize this about 3 weeks ago. I had gotten to a point of despair, feeling dragged around by job possibilities and responsibilities as a husband and a father. I really felt like the man that is tossed by every wind and wave of indecision. So, I did the only thing I knew; I picked a book of the Bible, a book off my shelf, and began to go through a time of devotion and study.
          Nehemiah was the book of the Bible I chose, and Wild at Heart by John Eldredge, was the book off my shelf. I wasn't prepared for what happened. I wasn't quite ready for the truths that God was revealing to me through both works. A peace that Paul talks about in Philippians began to take me over and I no longer worried about jobs and money. Read what Paul writes below:

           Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, rejoice. Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand; do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
(Philippians 4:4-7 ESV)

          Rejoice in the Lord, first and foremost. Why? Because He is taking care of it. As you stress and worry, he is weaving and working His plan out in your life. Just submit to that idea. The time I spent (and am still spending) in study and devotion have really focused my mind towards God and away from the stresses and worries of life.
          I'm not a believer in mysticism or magic words, but when you are obedient to God, things happen. The job situation I stressed about all summer? It is now resolved, not in my own idea or way, but in God's way and His time. I cannot put into words how these things came about except that God has orchestrated it all according to His plan. We are the ones making it difficult on ourselves. 

         

No comments:

Post a Comment