Saturday, August 4, 2012

ADAM AND LILY TREST



          I didn't get an actual picture, but if you saw something similar this evening near Pinehurst Park, then you know what I am talking about. It was strange. One of the strangest things I have ever seen in my life. It looked like an oil spill in the sky. Or more appropriately, it looked like some of Adam's paints had been poured out. These are iridescent clouds and are a pretty uncommon occurrence. I am not exactly sure what it meant, but it felt as though this day, and their marriage was blessed. Take that how you will and let it rest where you think it should, but two special people got married today. Two people who are their own, who love God, and came together to share in the journey.
          The pastor began the ceremony talking about Adam and Lily, how they are entering into their own fairy tale and the pages are blank. How their two separate stories end and as one they begin a new story together. He gave them an empty moleskine notebook to write or illustrate their own fairy tale. They will begin a new story today that will continue throughout their time together here on earth. Anytime I attend a wedding I think about God's idea of marriage, my marriage, and if I will get any cake at the reception.
          I guess I will make mention of the Chick-Fil-A situation that has been in the news lately. The company holds to marriage as one man one woman, as stated in the Bible. We are allowed freedom of speech and freedom of expression, the last time I checked. As to whether or not they make a claim to hate gay people, I am unsure. If that's the case then they are wrong, dead wrong. I was shocked to hear of a small church that gave grief to a black couple and would not allow them to get married in their church. What? Confused. That's just backwoods ignorance. One thing I am not confused about; God's definition of marriage.
          Next on the list is my marriage. Many things run through my mind; current state of our union, our wedding, anniversary, and the list goes on. Weddings challenge me, to be honest. I don't want to have a lifeless marriage, I want to know who my wife is, what she needs, and be able to help her when she hurts. That is all a part of being a husband. There are some definite challenges to marriage, but knowing your spouse on that intimate level adds a depth that nothing in this world can imitate or replace. God calls those who are married to much more than just bearing living together.
          Today I was witness to two great people getting married. The ceremony was special, sweet, and intimate. The reception was full of joy, great food, and great cake. And now I am home with my son and wife on the couch, hoping and praying for Mr. and Mrs. Adam Trest as they begin the journey, the fairy tale, and begin filling the pages of their lives together. Congratulations and God bless Adam and Lily!

1 comment:

  1. I just stumbled across this in such random string of google searches... I can't believe I didn't read this before! Thanks for reminding me of such an amazing day :)

    ReplyDelete