Saturday, July 14, 2012

SUIT UP: HE CALLED ME MICKEY MOUSE

      
The reason Neil Patrick Harris is here is because he plays a character on How I Met Your Mother who enjoys playing laser tag. Barney Stinson says to suit up, and even wears a suit while playing laser tag. That being my lead-in today, here we go.   
         Today was one of those days in which a deep part of my character was revealed; I don't like being picked on or at. I'm 24, almost 25, and this is still a problem? Yes, and it gets worse. Much worse I am afraid.
          Sara decided that we should play Space Tag in Ellisville with her brother and our niece and nephew. In addition to them, there was also a birthday party there to join in with. And there was a little boy in a Star Wars costume, just by himself. Once it was our time to play, we all gathered in the debriefing room for an employee to give us a break down of the rules. About mid-way through, Star Wars kid yells, "We've already heard this." I immediately follow with a shhh and decide I don't like this kid. He is loud and needs to know his role.
          Once the lady finished explaining the rules, we chose sides and fortunately, Star Wars kid was on the opposite team. We were led into the next room to get our vests and guns, and I was on the blue team. When I walked in, I grabbed the nearest vest and put it on. Star Wars kid singles me out. "You're going down." he says. "I doubt it," I shoot back. He then grabs my gun, twists it to where he can see it, and says, "Haha, you're Mickey Mouse." My target was selected. Star Wars kid was singled out. Needless to say my gameplay had a rather tunnel vision feel to it. Where was the Star Wars kid, how many times have I shot him, how many times has he shot me? At the end of the round, I felt I had accomplished alot.
          When I think back to this kid that grated on my nerves, I realize that I could have responded better. Maybe he didn't have a great home life and acted out for attention. Maybe he lacked friends and was trying to force a friendship, maybe he just wanted someone to notice him. But instead, I quickly became irritated and put up a shallow wall of sarcasm that kept me from potentially sharing the gospel with this kid.
          This made me reflect on my time at Mount Olive. Many of my kids were behavior problems and most times I would shut them out before they had a chance to even get started. It's really easy to talk to the people who are enjoyable to talk to, but it's really difficult when the person is a challenge:


“If you love those who love you, what benefit is that to you? For even sinners love those who love them. And if you do good to those who do good to you, what benefit is that to you? For even sinners do the same. And if you lend to those from whom you expect to receive, what credit is that to you? Even sinners lend to sinners, to get back the same amount. But love your enemies, and do good, and lend, expecting nothing in return, and your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High, for he is kind to the ungrateful and the evil. Be merciful, even as your Father is merciful.
(Luke 6:32-36 ESV)

          Ah! Why does Scripture hit us in the face like that? We don't get a pass on our enemies, or the people we don't like. It's just not there. Do you think Jesus liked some of the people he was around? Maybe not, but he did treat them right. He did give them attention and address their needs.
          Whew, we are called to a great thing. Many do not understand this, but it's not easy to practice what Jesus did. It's easy to say it, but not to practice it. I hope for the people who hate their enemies and seek wrongdoing on those who offend them, that they would allow the truth of the Word to penetrate their hearts and be convicted about the ways they are acting. 
          So, Star Wars kid. I could have really impacted his life, instead I only focused on impacting my laser beam into his vest. We are called to something higher than ourselves, to put away selfishness for selflessness. Christ lived the example, we've got to simply take it seriously. 

No comments:

Post a Comment