Monday, June 25, 2012

Spongey Mirrors

          Last Sunday, my pastor was talking about how what we watch influences us. For the most part, I had a general understanding of this discipline. I try not to listen to music that is vulgar and try not to watch movies that contain violent and crude elements (I'm not perfect at this, but I try). 
          Overall, I didn't feel really convicted by that part of the sermon. There were some things to bring in for sure, but I didn't see many failings. Last night, we were watching a program on tv about people with Tourette's syndrome. I initially wanted to watch this because of a bit about a person with narcolepsy, it was interesting. During the segment about Tourette's, the man that was focused on would have an episode, blabbing obscenities and making wild gestures. His story was truly sad because he had 4 children under the age of 6, and he could not help when he would say things he didn't mean in front of his children. This was heart wrenching to say the least, but what really got me was what Ben did.
          While watching the program, Ben began to imitate the man on the screen. Some might think this funny but it really got to me and Sara. We realized that Ben is watching and listening to everything we say, and everything we watch.
          My pastor drew a very important point: What you watch and listen to, what you allow into your mind, is also what those around you are exposed to. I really do not want my son repeating some of the stuff he sees and hears, so I must make a pledge as a father to protect his mind as much as possible from things that are inappropriate for him.Will I shelter him, not allowing him to experience life? No, of course not. But I will take it as my responsibility to expose things to him, in its right time.
          This past year at Mount Olive, I had students who had watched movies and played games that were extremely inappropriate for their age. To those parents who think this doesn't effect their children, you are wrong. Whether it surfaces now or later, it will come about.
          So, words of warning to individuals, parents, and anyone responsible for little ones. Be very careful what you expose them to, for they are spongey mirrors; they absorb everything and reflect what they see.

1 comment:

  1. Totally agree, Paul....thinking of the children's song...Be careful little eyes what you see....be careful little ears what you hear...Erin would not let Jackson & Ace watch Spongebob or Rugrats when they were really small due to things she had read. You are a very wise YOUNG dad....so proud of you.

    ReplyDelete