Saturday, June 16, 2012

FATHER'S DAY POST


     Father's Day is relatively new to me, it being only my second year of being a father. There have been countless joys that I have experienced since Ben was born. You really learn to look at life in a different way. Now I look from his perspective about what would be fun to play with, how to interpret his language, deciphering his grunts and pointing fingers, and also managing the puzzle that is toddler emotion. 
    
     I love my son and would not change a thing in this world. Last night, Sara, myself, and Ben had gone to town for a couple of essential items. I could tell Ben was getting antsy in the backseat so once we left the last store, I climbed back there with him. He was sort of restless so I got my phone and turned Pandora on. From the other day, my niece Ally had been listening to the Justin Bieber channel, so that's what started playing when I turned it on. Needless to say, Ben starts swaying to "Baby" and trying to sing the words.

     What is a dad to do?

           I start singing the song with him, pumping my fist, and even rapping Ludacris' part when it comes to it. Once we get our McDonald's fries, another pop song comes on and we continue. Some would say I should have turned Bieber off, some say I should have burned it with fire, others might say rock on, but what I knew in that moment was that it didn't matter what song was playing, only that I was with him in THAT moment. 

     Later I looked at Sara in the rearview mirror and said, "It doesn't matter if I get anything or not, this is what being a father is about."

     If you have lost your father, or are distanced from him somehow, don't let Father's day get you down. I have a great earthly father who provided for me and taught me well, but I know that if he weren't here, I would be able to lean on my heavenly Father and trust Him more than any man on this earth. 
     
     Luke 15:11-32 makes me well up in tears just about every time I read it. It is the picture of how God feels about us. As a father, and as a son, I cannot express how perfect of a passage this is for Father's day. Please find time to read this passage on Father's day. Take comfort in the fact that your heavenly father is the father from that story. 
     
     Have a great Father's day!

No comments:

Post a Comment