Wednesday, March 21, 2012

          On my drive home today I thought, "It would be so simple to just learn all of the time. Even if it were one new thing a week, learning could be perpetual." My personal goal is to try to learn a new thing; whether that be facts, how to do something, or study Scripture that I have never studied or revisit a favorite.
          Imagine how productive we would all be, in our happy little lives, in our quaint little jobs, just learning to our heart's content. Then I realized something else. There is enough junk available now that is non-productive, time wasting entertainment so as to stop learning in its tracks. Literally to take the spirit of learning and have it "sleeping with the fish". And that's exactly what I do. A few weeks ago, a couple came and spent two nights at our house because of a wedding they came to town for. They introduced me and Sara to DrawSomething: the ultimate time waster. And I'm addicted.
          There are so many things that I want to know: why mailboxes are numbered the way they are, from where certain words originate, why exactly Jesus wrote in parables, along with a few other inquiries. But it is things like this that trap me in thoughtless, repetitive, brain junk food. I'm not actually learning anything, except how to cheat at a drawing game by writing words.
          What else could I be doing? Breaking a passage down, praying for a friend, calling a family member, giving my wife attention, playing with my son, talking to a neighbor. I'm not denouncing entertainment, I enjoy relaxing and having brain breaks, but my generation lives and breathes the easy, here-and-now mentality that brings us Facebook fad games that devour our time and possibly some brain cells.

Enduring Understanding: Colossians 3:17 "and whatever you do, whether in word or in deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus..." Motivation to engage this life deeper than the shallow puddles of thought we so often find ourselves wading in.

No comments:

Post a Comment