Thursday, March 15, 2012

It Was That Important

          This isn't like me. I'm not that guy. Until recently. Skyrim was revealed to me by several people; namely my brother-in-laws and several church members. I kept getting the message that this was the best game ever and couldn't be compared to its predecessor, Oblivion. I had played Oblivion off and on, but like I said, I wasn't THAT guy. About three weeks ago, I began to spend time in Skyrim. Small stuff really, clearing caves of bandits, killing wolves and frostbite spiders, taking down the occasional dragon, and really just getting the feel of the game. 
          Well, I am a teacher, and this past week has been Spring Break. The glorious parting of the clouds to reveal the light at the end of the tunnel. During the day, I have been hanging out with my wife and our son Ben, all the while intermittently playing Skyrim. On more than one occasion, I was asked to watch Ben.
          See where this is going? Ben, being a toddler, and me, being a full grown man, both had different ideas about how we spent that time watching one another. He wanted to explore the house and I wanted to explore that cave I just found.
          Two minutes later, I'm questing and he is crying. I've allowed him to wander off, and while he wasn't physically hurt (most of his hurts are purely emotional), I still felt about as small as could possibly be imagined.
          This quickly reawakened my fatherly instincts and made me realize how selfish and foolish I had been. The game could wait, it would be there.
          My son, on the other hand, cannot be replaced, even though in this case he was only emotionally upset. His life was entrusted to me by God to protect and care for him.
          The games, television shows, hobbies, jobs, and stuff will be there at the end of the day, still waiting where you left it. It's really not that important.

BTW: Skyrim is a great game, tv is alright, but as long as we keep them in the proper perspective, we can still enjoy them.

Enduring Understanding: Are the things you are doing now interfering with your family or life? Is a certain action, game, show, item, becoming your main focus so that all other aspects are falling to the wayside? God will point out to you the areas in your life that you are slacking in, if you will but ask.

No comments:

Post a Comment